Wednesday, February 22, 2012

No High Fructose Corn Syrup: Day 1

My grandmother believes that High Fructose Corn Syrup is poison.  Since she is one of the smartest, strongest people in my whole world, I believe her.  That’s why I am giving up HFCS for Lent this year.  It is my quest to leave HFCS behind for the next 40 days and when Lent is over, I will revisit this and tell you all how I am feeling (whether it be better, worse, or indifferent).

So this is my official day 1.  I’m not specifically a church-going person, so for all I know Lent may have started yesterday but I am beginning this quest today because that’s when I decided to do it haha.  And let me tell you, people – HFCS is EVERYWHERE.  I slept VERY late today and decided when I woke up that I wanted to have a sandwich and some salad for lunch (which was technically my breakfast because I am a lazy mess who slept until 12:30pm… don’t judge me).  I assumed bread would be a safe option because I’ve made bread from scratch before and I’ve never once used HFCS or anything like it, so I was safe right?

WRONG.

I had to look through FOUR different kinds of bread before I found one with no HFCS in it.  HOW is that possible?  Even the whole grain/whole wheat bread I had in the drawer had HFCS fairly close to the top of the ingredients list.  Luckily, I had no such trouble with the cold cuts (Boars Head, which I had previously Googled) or the salad dressing (Wish Bone Balsamic Vinaigrette) which specifically states on the bottle that they use sugar and not HFCS (and there are no sneaky “maltodextrin (corn)” lines in the list of ingredients either – that is one you definitely have to watch out for because it’s the same thing, just under a sneakier name). 

Who knew this would be so hard? 

And how do I eat at restaurants now?

This is going to be a doozy.  I’m going to try to post at least once every day from now until the end of Lent to keep everyone updated on this little journey.  Please leave any questions in the comments and I’ll do my best to answer them!

-Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment